Re: Vnc server

Il 09/05/2010 21:50, Andrew Lapham ha scritto:
Hello all.

I'm new to debian (2 days) but have been using Linux for a while. Anyway my
problem is with Vnc4server.

Yesterday I set up my /home/.Vnc/xstartup to include gnome session and I
commented terminal emulator. And I remoted in no problem (I forget if I used
vnvserver or Vnc4server)

Today I turned on the pc and ran the server and all I get is a grey screen
and a mouse. I tried vncserver and Vnc4server. Any ideas?

(Sorry for the case/spelling errors this was composed on my phone..)

I ran into a similar issue some time ago (and found the solution on a vnc mailing list, in case you have further problems). If you closed your vnc session by *logging out*, what happens is that your session (gnome) is no longer active, but vnc is not concerned.

The workaround that was suggested to me is to *not* have vncstartup exec the session, but rather launch a session and cleanup afterwards, ie

# wrong
#exec gnome-session

# right
gnome-session
vncserver -kill $DISPLAY

If you grok the shell you'll probably use the trap command to make sure that cleanup is done no matter what, but that's just a detail

good luck