Re: Fwd: Re: Kde 3.5 ...

On Sun, May 09, 2010 at 09:18:05 -0700, Mike Bird wrote:
> On Sun May 9 2010 08:20:40 Florian Kulzer wrote:
> (snip)
> > That is fine, of course, but why do you bother the list with your
> > grievances if your mind is already made up and you are not willing to
> > work with the people who care about making KDE4 better? Do you just want
> > to use the list as your personal agony aunt?
>
> This is a Debian list, not a KDE list.

That is certainly true, but it seems to me that this argument cuts both
ways, and can be applied just as well to the initial complaints.

>                                         A lot of people care about
> not making Debian worse, and are thereafter taking the time and
> making the effort to present the case for not deleting KDE 3.5
> from Debian.

Probably true, but I do not see what that has to do with the specific
remarks about one particular poster's behavior that you quoted from my
last message. (I think it is clear from my complete message that the
"you" quoted above is second person singular, not plural.)

> While the KDE devs have gone on to new and sillier pastures, KDE 3.5
> is apparently maintained at least by the Trinity project and it is
> possible that either Trinity or other solutions may yet be developed
> that will avoid the planned harm to Debian.

We will see. I have the feeling that the majority of people who cannot
stand KDE4 will simply switch to one of the other fine DEs (or to Gnome)
in the long run, so it may be difficult to maintain a big enough
community of developers and users to keep the KDE3 projects alive.

> This is a worthwhile discussion for a Debian list.

I never said that it was not. I was expressing my bewilderment with
people who seem to get offended when someone offers to submit upstream
bugs on their behalf if only they would tell him the details of their
problems, just because he may have made a mistake with the CCs. Why not
take him up on his offer, you have to do very little, he will do all the
work? If that leads to some of your problems with KDE 4 being fixed then
you may have one more acceptable alternative available in case the KDE3
zombie turns out to be unmaintainable after all.

--
Regards,            |
          Florian   |