Re: Fwd: Re: Kde 3.5 ...

And now to the list. Goran, my apologies

Op 08-05-10 06:49, godo schreef:

> > I'm sorry, maybe I'm to new to all this stuff and to old fashioned but
> > isn't the point in new version make her free of bugs, faster, lighter
> > etc.? Whats happened to KISS?
Well, that depends. When you have a fine app, tuning is good. However,
when you make a new app, or think your app needs UI improvements, then
you need to change stuff. Linux is not the same as Windows, which Linux
is blamed for by some Windows enthusiasts. For me it is a good thing: if
I want something similar to Windows, well, I use Windows.
I think this is kind of the same situation. KDE 3.5 has its strengths
and weaknesses. In order to reduce the amount of weaknesses, the devs
thought a change was needed. KDE 3.5 also had some eye candy, most of it
useless from the point of view of usability. Improvements like
alt-tabbing trough screens where they are showed in some sort of stack
is very useful to me, as you can quickly see which window you want.

> > There are to much things that are useful in KDE 3 and now are gone.
> > What was wrong with system:// in Konqueror, different background for
> > different desktop, Quanta, less usage of ram, look and feel.
> > All that stuff people love and use in everyday life. Is it cubic desktop
> > switching useful? No it's just eye candy.
Konqueror apparently got some TLC in 4.4, however I also regret that
change. The ram usage of kde is not a problem to me, but then I have 4GB
of it ;)

> > I really can't see why is KDE 4 better. If anybody can please explain me
> > because I really don't see even one reason.
Well, useful eye candy, the search function in the menu, the ability to
place widgets on the desktop and not only the taskbar. Also, for me it
feels faster when it is running. KDE 3.5 sometimes was lagging. It might
very well be that KDE 4 is hiding the lag behind eye candy, but it is
about the feel, isn't it?
Also, kile got improved a lot, I like the new mount dock thingy (I hated
the annoying popups). Should I go on?

Anyway, opinions differ. And that's of course what FOSS is all about:
choice!

Sjoerd