Re: Fwd: Re: Kde 3.5 ...

> I'm sorry, maybe I'm to new to all this stuff and to old fashioned but isn't
> the point in new version make her free of bugs, faster, lighter etc.? Whats
> happened to KISS?
>
> When I was on Windows I hate so much when in every new version everything
> was different and I was losing days to find old options.
>
> There are to much things that are useful in KDE 3 and now are gone.

Please tell me what is missing for you. I will address those that you
mention below, and I would appreciate if you mention others that you
think of. Thanks.

> What was wrong with system:// in Konqueror,

What did the system kioslave do? I don't have KDE 3 here to test.

> different background for
> different desktop,

Fixed in KDE 4.4 or 4.5.

> Quanta,

Being ported, and not a core KDE app in any case.

> less usage of ram,

So long as you are not loading Qt3 libraries in addition to the Qt4
libraries, KDE 4 is lighter on RAM than KDE 3. You can really feel it,
too.

> look and feel.

It is subjective. You can generally configure KDE 4 to look like KDE 3.

> All that stuff people love and use in everyday life.

You're not married, are you? :) That stuff never stops changing!

> Is it cubic desktop
> switching useful? No it's just eye candy.

Actually, spatial organization is very useful as it is most natural
for humans. Users who have shied away from multiple desktops love it.

> I really can't see why is KDE 4 better. If anybody can please explain me
> because I really don't see even one reason.

Okular was my reason for switching, and that's saying a lot as KPDF
was great. Kate is as it was for the most part, other that the new
search-replace dialogue (that I don't like) and VIM mode (that I
love). Kopete has Skype integration (needs Skype installed, though). I
really like having different folders shown on the desktop.

Nothing really compelling, but then again KDE 3 did not have any one
really compelling feature. It's the sum of the parts.

> One more thing, I don't wont offend anybody. That vas just my thought and
> thought of ather people that I see on the net since the KDE 4 came out.
> I know that this mail will not change the thought of developers and this is
> not reason why I was writhing it.

Your thoughts are appreciated, and they are valuable. I _want_ to know
what keeps you on KDE 3, so that I can get it fixed in KDE 4.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com