Re: Suggestion/Question for the approx apt(itutde) proxy daemon

On 20100505_184737, Rick Thomas wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I just started using approx.  I'm really impressed.  It's a great
> piece of work.  Thanks!
>
> Here's a question:  Is it permissible/possible to have two (or more)
> different mirrors listed as servers for the same set of archives?
>
> for example, my approx server's approx.conf file has
> 	security http://security.debian.org/
> 	volatile http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile/
> 	debian http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/
>
> but the University has a fast Internet2 link so I'd like to use that
> to connect when I can.  e.g. I'd like to add
> 	debian http://debian.cs.binghamton.edu/debian/
> 	debian http://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian/

Look at man approx.conf for more details on what I say here.
Each of you example lines is interpreted by approx as a name/value
pair. Thus each line starting with debian binds a different value
to the name debian. Only one can apply. They cannot all apply at once.

If, instead, you change them to

 	debian http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/
 	debia2 http://debian.cs.binghamton.edu/debian/
 	debia3 http://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian/

Put into your sources.list three lines where you now have only one
pointing to debian in you approx proxy server, the other two point to
debia2 and debia3, also in you proxy server. You probably will get
something close to what you want. Apt-get or aptitude will work its
way down sources.list until it finds a working server and update the
corresponding section of the proxy cache.

But this would make approx create three separate proxy caches, one for
each external repository. I think that this is not really what you want.

I suggest that you look at
/var/cache/approx/
You will find one one subdirectory there for each definition
line in your /etc/approx.conf file. You might get what you
want by replacing directories debia2 and debia3 by symlinks
that point to debian.

Post a reply saying whether this works. I don't have a situation where
I can test this exactly, and I'd like to know.

HTH