Re: Unable to find growisofs executable . . .

On Thu, 06 May 2010 09:02:16 -0400, Albretch Mueller wrote:

(...)

>  the LiteOn DVD burner I installed as a SATA device. However it
> somehow shows as an hda one apparently sharing the same device as the
> IDE CD/DVD-ROM combo that I had. Why is that? ~

cat /etc/fstab

Also, "dmesg" should list both units.

>  I have also noticed errors/warnings
> ~
> $ sudo k3b
> ERROR: Communication problem with k3b, it probably crashed. $ Error:
> "/var/tmp/kdecache-knoppix" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0. Link
> points to "/var/tmp/kdecache-root" Error: "/tmp/kde-knoppix" is owned by
> uid 1000 instead of uid 0. Link points to "/tmp/kde-root"
> Error: "/tmp/ksocket-knoppix" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
> Link points to "/tmp/ksocket-root"
> ~
>  which you avoid by starting k3b as kde superuser
> ~
> $ sudo k3b

But you have to instruct K3B to burn with your normal user, not root.

>  however you get errors complaining about an "growisofs executable" ...
> ~
> System configuration problems:
> Unable to find growisofs executable
> K3b uses growisofs to actually write dvds. Without growisofs you won't
> be able to write dvds. Make sure to install at least version 5.10.
> Solution: Install the dvd+rw-tools package. ~
>  How can I troubleshoot all of that/use my DVD burner?

Check if it is already installed in your system:

sm01@stt008:~$ whereis growisofs
growisofs: /usr/bin/growisofs /usr/share/man/man1/growisofs.1.gz

If that returns no output, you'll have to follow the wise-advice of K3B:
"(sic) Solution: Install the dvd+rw-tools package." :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón