Re: Kde 3.5 ...

* On 2010 06 May 08:03 -0500, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> >> Maybe use dummy packages, or rename the packages so that KDE 3.5 could
> >> remain installed, and not be forced to upgrade to Kde4.
> >
> > That ship has sailed and it isn't coming back. ??KDE 3.5 is considered
> > dead. ??Why some motivated person has not forked it yet has escaped me.
> >

> Not exactly forked, but maintained:
> http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/

I saw that later in the thread.  It looks interesting.  Thanks.

> > ??Still, either pales in
> > comparison to the KDE 3.5 as does KDE4
>
> Please, let me know what KDE 4 is missing for you. KDE 4.4 has only a
> handful of regressions from KDE 3.5.10, and they are not dealbreakers.
> Some of those are addressed in KDE 4.5.

I'm tired of typing this time and again:

No speaker beep in Konsole--dev says, "Too bad."

Device Notifier is a poor design and not easily changed to simply allow
mounting so removable medium rather than starting Dolphin each time.

No right click on the desktop to bring up the menu.

Other things that just don't seem inuitive *for me* that were in KDE
3.5.

These are small things to be sure and likely of little interest to
anyone else.  To me they are the little things that make 3.5 a pleasure
to use and 4.x an impediment to my produtivity.

> The "KDE 4 sux" time has passed. If you still have problems with KDE
> 4, then please let me know what they are so that they can be fixed.

The time for "I tried it for 15 minutes and KDE4 sux" comments has long
passed, yes.  I've given it a fair shake, I feel, I've tried asking
politely for the things I liked about 3.5 to restored in 4.x only to be
brushed aside by KDE devs.  So *for me* KDE4 is not my vision of an
ideal desktop environment.  YMMV and I wish the KDE4 team and its users
all the best.  I may check in again some day and see how things are
going.  This is Free Software after all where one may come and go as one
pleases.

If nothing else, KDE4 has given me the benefit of giving the other DEs a
fair evaluation, something I'd not done when I was happy with KDE 3.4 and
3.5.

- Nate >>