Re: network setup question

>if I change the netmask of the server it can no longer talk to the
>router because it is in a different ip network ie can't
>talk to (you can fake it on linux with iproute - see my
>other answer to this thread).

That does not look correct.  Just to see how it works, I just chaged the netmask of my pc from /24 to /16, it is working
router -
pc1 -, gw, broadcast
This pc1 could reach all other machines on network with the above configuration, also it could access internet using as the gateway.

In your example, network (netmask means to  It could very well reach  But on the other hand could reach only to machines.