Re: Password messed up

On Tue, 04 May 2010 07:50:41 -0500, Don AE5K wrote:

>> First idea would be keyboard country in X, but I bet you thought about
>> that? Thierry
>
> Thanks for the idea Thierry!  As I'm in the U.S., I plead ignorance on
> what other countries must go through to make changes -- could you give
> me direction on how to check the "keyboard country" in X?

Good question, as now all that stuff is configured dynamically.

How about "cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep Layout"?

Anyway, unless otherwise specified, Xorg defaults to "us" keyboard.

An easy way to check if the problem relies in your keyboard layout  (or
the problem comes from another side), is by creating a new user with
password "123456" (an easy one to type as most of the keyoards out there
have the number keys in the same place -below function keys-).

Another approach could be getting a "on screen keyboard" (virtual
keyboard) at login screen and use it to type the password.

Also, you could check if the keys are correctly mapped just by typing in
the user name field which is not "protected" by asterisks :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón