Password messed up

Hi,

I have a problem (actually more than one, but let's tackle this one first) with my password on KDE log in screen no being accepted. The password does work OK when logging in using command line / terminal.

I have 3 users, and all have this same situation. Their passwords work on CLI but not on the welcome log in screen graphically.

Using 2.6.32-3-686 #1 SMP with squeeze/sid.

Never a problem like this previous to past month or so (cannot pinpoint date as I was out of circulation in hospital for a week late March).

Any help appreciated -- knowledgeable enough to be dangerous, so even though I'm not a newbie, don't assume I'm an expert.

Regards,
Don