Re: Multiple Graphics cards and HDMI: How to?

Victor Padro wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 6:53 PM, KS <lists04@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I have setup a system with Gigabyte MA-790GPT-UD3H motherboard and use a
>> Nvidia GeForce 8600GTS PCI-E video card. It also has an onboard ATI
>> Radeon HD 3300 graphics chipset. The PCI-E card is being used at the
>> moment for the monitor (nvidia driver). I was thinking of using the HDMI
>> port(onboard) to play movies directly on the TV rather than using a
>> DVD-RW (current method).
>> I did configure the onboard chipset to be detected after the PCI-E card
>> as D-SUB+HDMI output in the BIOS. This is on a Debian Unstable box.
>> The question is: would it be possible to use two graphics cards from
>> different manufacturers?
>> I also noticed that the onboard chipset does not come up with lspci.
> AFAIK, when you use a PCI-e VGA onboard video is disable, and your
> lspci states that...

Yes, that seems to what was happening. I have remove the PCI-E card and
the machine was able to detect the onboard VGA chipset (using module

At the moment, when I boot, I get 1024x768 resolution on both of them
(monitor and TV) with both showing the same image. I have tried to
create an xorg.conf using
http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12 but it is not being
applied (both outputs have 1024x768 resolution even though I have
specified the preferred resolution in xorg.con). Does anyone see obvious
mistakes in the file or if I have missed something?

PS: I just realized that I could have used a DVD-HDMI adapter for my
Nvidia 8600GTS card too. However, its fan is really noisy :(

Section "Module"
        #Load    "bitmap"
        #Load    "dbe"
        #Load    "ddc"
        #Load   "dri"
        #Load    "extmod"
        #Load    "freetype"
        #Load    "int10"
        #Load    "record"
        #Load   "type1"
        #Load    "vbe"

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc104"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Buttons"               "7"
        Option          "ButtonMapping"         "1 2 3 6 7 4 5"

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3300 Graphics"
        Driver          "radeonhd"
#       BusID           "01:05.0"
        Option          "AccelMethod"   "EXA"
        Option          "Monitor-VGA-0" "Lenovo Monitor"
        Option          "Monitor-HDMI-0" "External TV"
        Option          "Audio" "on"
        Option          "HDMI" "all"

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Lenovo Monitor"
        Modeline        "1920x1200_60.00"  193.16  1920 2048 2256 2592
1200 1201 1204 1242  -HSync +Vsync
        Option          "PreferredMode" "1920x1200_60.00"

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "External TV"
        DisplaySize     1600 900
        Modeline        "1360x768_60.00"  84.72  1360 1424 1568 1776
768 769 772 795  -HSync +Vsync
        Option          "PreferredMode" "1360x768_60.00"
        Option          "RightOf" "Lenovo Monitor"

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Big Screen"
        Device          "ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3300 Graphics"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection      "Display"
                Depth           24
                #Virtual Screen size add widths + max(height of monitor)
for right+left config
                Virtual         3280 1200

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"