help on ldap

Hi,
I wanted to use php to manage my ldap server.
I used  php5-ldap from debian site.
The php ran correctly , same thing for ladp ;
but when I tried the ldap-connect  via  the module php, nothing is appeared and the window froze ( blank page ), after that any simple php command didn't work untill I restarted apache2.
The ldap.load  is added to the directory /etc/apache2/mods-enabled,   but there is not file  ldap.conf !!!!! is it correct or missed ??

here is an example for connection:

<?php
$ds=ldap_connect("localhost");

echo " my connection : $ds";
?>

after that I wait for a long time!!!!, nothing , don't receive any answer for my echo
,
thanks for help