Re: Aptitude status output meaning

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 11:12:17AM +0000, Rémi Moyen <rmoyen@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> 2010/2/11 Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de>:
> > On 2010-02-11 08:30 +0100, Guy Marcenac wrote:
> >
> >> What is the meaning of [-107] in the status output of aptitude ?
> >> Current status: 0 updates [-107]
> >
> > It means that there are 107 less than before, i.e. you have just
> > upgraded 107 packages.
>
> I take the opportunity of this question (and apparently, someone who
> knows a bit about aptitude), since I was also wondering about this...
>
> Is there someplace a full manual of the output of aptitude ?

  The command-line output of aptitude is somewhat underdocumented.
Please feel free to submit bugs regarding bits of output that you think
need documentation.  I know there are lots of bug reports, but trust me,
I do read them, and it's better to have those notes than to have an
email lingering on some mailing list.

> I haven't found a description of what this number means anywhere, and
> I'm also puzzled on a lot of other outputs. For example, when
> proposing an upgrade solution, aptitude says things like "indi
> [4:3.5.5-1 (stable, stable, now) -> 4:3.5.8-1 (testing, unstable,
> testing, unstable)]"

  I just tweaked this to uniquify and sort the strings, so you should
just get "now, stable" and "testing, unstable" in future versions of
aptitude (the multiple copies probably mean you have more than one
source for each version, which isn't interesting to know in this
output).

  Daniel