Re: How to trick my Debian in thinking that a package is not installed

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 09:59:19AM -0600, "Monique Y. Mudama" <spam@bounceswoosh.org> was heard to say:
> I use "hold" liberally to weather Sid storms.  There are two cases I
> see crop up: one, aptitude suggests removing packages without an
> obvious replacement.  Two, aptitude marks things as broken that have
> been working just fine.  In either case, I start slamming the "=" key
> until packages will no longer be removed, and nothing is marked
> broken.  This works 99.99% of the time.  At some later period when I
> suspect the storm has passed, I test the waters by unholding the
> packages and gauging aptitude's reaction.

  With aptitude 0.6.2+, I'd be curious to know whether you get the
answers you want (with less removals and less need to manually hold)
with this setting or something like it:

Aptitude::ProblemResolver::SolutionCost="2*removals + canceled-actions,safety,priority"

  (sorry about the long line)

  That will ask aptitude to minimize the number of removals and canceled
actions, but to weigh removals as being twice as bad as holding packages
back.

> If this is a misuse of "hold" and there's a better way, though, I'm
> all ears.  Rereading, it seems like "forbid-version" would be the
> right call for most of what I'm doing, assuming it does persist
> between aptitude sessions.

  Forbid-version is probably more appropriate, yes.

  Daniel