Re: How to trick my Debian in thinking that a package is not installed

On Tuesday 27 April 2010 08:48:48 Daniel Burrows wrote:
>   aptitude's resolver will *still* upgrade held packages

Oh noes!

>   A temporary solution for you is to cancel the auto flag on any
> package you hold.

Simple enough.

>   Long-term solutions in the code could include postponing dependency
> resolution until after the resolver finishes (which could have
> wide-ranging implications), refusing to remove unused held packages, and
> somehow "remembering" the held flag on packages that were removed
> because they were unused.
>
>   Of these three solutions, I prefer the second one, refusing to remove
> unused held packages.  It fits in with the intuitive meaning of "hold",
> it's easy to implement, and it doesn't have a high risk of surprising
> side-effects, since it only affects a fairly precisely defined set of
> packages.

As a user, I also prefer that approach, for all the reasons you mention.

> Essentially, it causes held packages to be added to the root
> set (and that's the best implementation, I think: modify aptitude's
> custom root set function to include held packages).

You lost me, but I haven't delved into the aptitude source code.  My approach
would have been just making the 'hold' action also clear the 'automatically
installed' flag; essentially "institutionalizing" the temporary solution.
But, I defer to your solution as it sounds more flexible.

$(reportbug -k aptitude)