Cannot stop XDM service

First of all, I am very new to Linux but am well aware of the need to learn.  After considerable googling with my issue, I gave up and thought I'd try a mailing list instead :)

In attempting to install the cvm package (apt-get install cvm), I recieve a warning indicating that the XDM service cannot be automatically stopped/started and that I should do so manually.

I then use rcconf to remove the little dot-selector-thingy beside XDM, which, as far as I understand, should stop the service immediately, but errors ensue in the rest of the installation and when I continue the installation again (apt-get -f install) I recieve the same warning that XDM is running and needs to be stopped manually.  Checking in rcconf, the service is already unselected.  Taking a hint from my background with MS Windows, I restarted the computer and tried the installation again; same warning and rcconf still shows the service as unselected.

What am I not understanding here?  Thanks in advance!
Tom Schlodder - Calgary, Alberta, Canada