Re: backing up LVM volumes

On Tuesday 27 April 2010 16:03:55 Celejar wrote:
> I've had to give up lvm snapshots totally as
> broken, primarily because of this (see my messages in the thread):

That is troublesome, probably to the point of actually being broken.  It's
likely that something "behind-the-scenes" in LVM is actually messing with the
snapshot device even when it is not mounted and preventing the removal.

I'm fairly sure the snapshot device has to be updated whenever a write is done
to a new LE in the original device, and it's possible *that* is causing the
problem.  I hope this issue gets some attention; I doubt it is a Debian-ism.

> I've also been hit by this, although it *may* be harmless (or not -
> this stuff could really use decent documentation):

My guess on this one is one of two things:
1) Udev is taking a little while to unlink "secondary" names for the LVs that
are being removed, and when lvm does its device scan it's hitting "missing"
devices.
2) LVM is using device names from its cache for devices that are no longer
present for its device scan and, again, hitting "missing" devices.

In either case I think the error messages are annoying, but not indicative of
a real problem.