backing up LVM volumes

Hi to Everyone !

On my previous systems, I used to create overall backups of partitions, using 'SystemRescueCD'. This is no longer possible ever since 2007 that I have a RAID1 mirroring system on my Debian. SystemRescueCD does not backup LVM volumes, or, if it does, that must be a very new feature, and I have not found any doc on this.

So, what should I do so as to backup my system ? I once tried 'dd', but I think I remember it took forever, and I don't really know whether I would have been able to use the resulting file to successfully restore the partitions if needed.

Could someone suggest something that has been successfully tried ? Even 'dd' could do, if it is OK with LVM and if I get some details. I understand that I would have to unmount the partitions, but this is not a problem. I have two IDE mirrored disks of 200 GB each.

Thanks in advance for your insights.