Re: Questions about RAID 6

Hi

I recently (last week), migrated from 10 x 1Tb to adaptec 51645 and 5
x 2T drives.

my experience, I can't get frub2 and the adaptec to work, so I am
booting from a SSD I had.

I carved up the 5x2T into 32G (mirror 1e - mirror stripe + parity)  -
too boot from and mirrored against my ssd. the rest went into a raid5
till i moved my info over - this took around 18 hours, my data was
originally on a vgs on a pv on my raid6 mdadm I made the adaptec 5T
into a pv and added it to the vg and then did a pvmove - that took
time :)

next I went and got 2 more 2Tb drives and did an online upgrade from
5x2T raid5 to 7x2Tb raid6 now sitting at 9T - this took about 1 week
to resettle.

Other quirks I had to used parted to install gpt  partition table on
the drive it was over some limit for mbr's.  Had a bit of a scare when
I resized my pvs partition with parted, it submits each command once
its typed - I had to delete my pv partition and then recreate it -
same as deleting a partition and then recreating it, but with fdisk it
doesn't really happen until Write time.... 5 T of info gone
potentially .... could not use the resize command it did not under
stand lvm/pv's

But all is okay now resized and ready.

I choose raid6 because its just another drive and I value my data more
than another drive. I also have 3 x 1T in the box in the raid 1ee
setup which is stripe / mirror / parity setup.

I don't use batter backup to the machine, I have a ups attached, which
can run it for 40 min on battery.

Note - I also backup all my data to another server close by but
another bulding and all the important stuff get backed up off site. I
use rdiff-backup

Alex