Re: using samba with unix acls

On Monday 26 April 2010 14:00:51 andy baxter wrote:
> I am setting up a file server for a small company. The people who will
> be using it want to be able to control who accesses particular
> directories on a user/group basis.
> [T]hey are
> keen to have a system which allows them to make some parts of the
> filesystem available to more than one group.
>
> I think that to achieve this I will need to set up samba with unix ACLs,
> but I'm not sure what's the best way of doing this - the two options
> seem to be using a patched kernel with an ext3 filesystem, or else using
> the XFS filesystem which has built in ACL support. Which of these would
> you recommend?

The Lenny kernel is configured with POSIX ACL support for ext2/3/4dev and
generic ACL support.  I don't think you'll need to patch the kernel, but I
could be wrong.

> The XFS option seems a lot simpler to maintain (no need to patch the
> kernel every time an update is released), but I'm worried that because
> this filesystem is not used so much, it may not be as reliable as ext3.

XFS is mature, fast, and well-supported by the kernel team.  If your system is
subject to unclean shutdowns (e.g. power failure w/o a UPS), you might want to
tune your system to flush the XFS cache to disk a bit more often than the
defaults.