Re: using samba with unix acls

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
On Monday 26 April 2010 14:00:51 andy baxter wrote:
I think that to achieve this I will need to set up samba with unix ACLs,
but I'm not sure what's the best way of doing this - the two options
seem to be using a patched kernel with an ext3 filesystem, or else using
the XFS filesystem which has built in ACL support. Which of these would
you recommend?

The Lenny kernel is configured with POSIX ACL support for ext2/3/4dev and generic ACL support. I don't think you'll need to patch the kernel, but I could be wrong.

The XFS option seems a lot simpler to maintain (no need to patch the
kernel every time an update is released), but I'm worried that because
this filesystem is not used so much, it may not be as reliable as ext3.

XFS is mature, fast, and well-supported by the kernel team. If your system is subject to unclean shutdowns (e.g. power failure w/o a UPS), you might want to tune your system to flush the XFS cache to disk a bit more often than the defaults.
Thanks. I think I'll go for ext3 and see if it works.

andy