Re: 32000 directories (somewhat OT)

Paul E Condon writes:
> I worked on a personal project last year in which I ran into the 32k
> limit and solved the problem by imposing a simple structure on my
> directory names.

It's easy if you are planning ahead.  This guy is stuck with an
application (presumably closed-source) that already requires a flat file
structure.

> I think because Apple didn't want to trouble their users with
> difficult concepts, like telephones and dialing a telephone number.

The on-screen rebus for a directory was a little dohicky that Apple's
designers imagined looked like a picture of a manila folder.  The idea
was to sooth computerphobic office workers by making their screens look
just like their desktops.  That's the origin of the "desktop metaphor".
Fortunately, they did not decide to label disk drives "drawers".

> Who remembers dialing?

I do, of course.  I even have several working 500Ds somewhere in the
junk box.

> Where did that word come from? ;-)

Wikipedia says "The word dialling originally referred to the creation of
the mathematics required to create a sundial face to tell time based on
the position of the sun. Those skilled in the art were referred to as
dialists or gnomonists; taken from the word gnomon (a device using a
shadow as an indicator)."
--
John Hasler