Re: overcoming the 32k objects limit is ext3 - which file system to use?

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 8:13 PM, Siju George <sgeorge.ml@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ext3 can have only 32000 files/folders under a folder and I hit that limit.

Hi,

Sorry for the ambiguity.

by files/folders I meant the number of objects inside a directory.

But Mike showed there is no such limit for files/folders and other
showed me there is such a limit for folders.

folders=directory.

I work in a mixed environment of BSDs Linuxes Mac OS X and a few MS
Windows Servers but the developers mostly use MS Windows as desktops
and MS language is what I use commonly in office so that is the reason
to use folders :-)

I rarely use ext3. This was a server installed by some body else.

The folder limit was reached some time back.

As a temporary solution some directories were removed .
They will be fitting new drives tomorrow so I guess i will format them
to XFS and use that.

since ext4 also has a limit ans jfs also has a limit of 64000 I guess
I will use XFS which allows 2^32 directories under a directory.

My inclination to use JFS was because that is the file system that has
proved stable for me during numerous crashes due to power failure back
at home more than any other :-)

Thank you so much all of you for all the info.

--Siju