Re: Re: The future of "nv" driver (was: Linux compatible mainboards -another thought)

On 01/-10/-28163 02:59 PM, Celejar wrote:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 09:53:27 -0400
"James P. Wallen"<jpwallen@comcast.net>  wrote:

Heck, I haven't even installed the non-free firmware to make wireless
work in a couple of these notebooks.

Firmware runs on the external hardware, not the system, so system
stability shouldn't be an issue.  I assume that here it's just the
principle of the thing.

Celejar

I'd characterize it as a combination of principle and curiosity. I really want to see how well I can accomplish what I want to do and what I need to do using only FOSS. I'm relatively new to GNU/Linux, but I've had very few problems that were at all difficult to resolve. Come to think of it, the only problems that were absolutely indomitable were caused by the use of non-free software / drivers in my earlier forays into the various distributions. I guess those experiences have strengthened my resolve to stick with FOSS.

I have to admit that GoogleEarth would be a nice thing to have.

Jim