Re: how to setup my environment variable for vim ?

Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Sat,24.Apr.10, 11:28:13, Bernard wrote:
Hi to Everyone,

I use ncftp' fairly often, and I wish to be able to edit files on
my remote accesses. The ncftp command 'edit' does not operate here,
it says:

"
Setup your Editor environment variable prior to running ncftp
example for /bin/sh:
EDITOR="/usr/bin/vi";export EDITOR
"

But, on my Lenny, I don't have anything relevant at /bin/sh. For
once, /bin/sh is a directory, not a file, and I don't see anything

I really doubt that! /bin/sh should be a symbolic link (symlink) to either /bin/bash or /bin/dash (depending on the release you are using).
You're right : I had done the trial late last night, doing something else in the meantime, so I'd mixed things up. I just checked again: /bin/sh is a file. But it contains binary data, at least I suppose so, since it reads strange characters such as a number of carets and arobase.
relevant in it. As for /usr/bin/sh, I don't have such a file or
directory

Of course, /bin/sh is needed for the basic operation of your OS, it couldn't reside on /usr (which is often a separate partition mounted later on).

Try putting this in ~/.bashrc:

export EDITOR=/usr/bin/vim
I am going to test this