Re: overcoming the 32k objects limit is ext3 - which file system to use?

Siju George put forth on 4/23/2010 11:13 PM:
> Hi,
>
> ext3 can have only 32000 files/folders under a folder and I hit that limit.
> Which file system can I use to over come it?
> I am planning for JFS
>
> Does anybody has any recommendations?

It's odd that you're leaning towards JFS, when XFS is superior or nearly
equal in almost every performance test, is more tunable, and has better and
more extensive user space utils.  In addition, XFS enjoys active, heavy
development.  JFS hasn't had a commit since January, only 2 commits this
year and both in user space tools.  XFS has had hundreds, most to kernel
space.  JFS is all but dead from a development and maintenance standpoint.
XFS is alive and well, with constant bug fix work, efficiency streamlining
of the code base, and feature development.

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/
http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_Status_Updates

http://jfs.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=jfs-commit&max_rows=25&style=ultimate&viewmonth=201001

Some performance comparisons in kernel 2.6.34-rc3:
http://btrfs.boxacle.net/repository/raid/2010-04-14_2004/2.6.34-rc3/2.6.34-rc3.html

Visit the above test results page often.  The "fast" EXT4 data set was
generated with a "cheat" optimization.  A test run has not yet been made
using a similar "cheat".  When published it should show substantial gains
over the EXT4 "cheat" optimization.

Specifically addressing your 32K EXT3 limitation, XFS uses dynamic inode
allocation.  Because of this you won't run into a directory or file limit
unless there are physically no more free disk sectors in the filesystem,
i.e. the disk or RAID is completely full.  With XFS, as long as you have
free space on the disk you can write new files and directories.

--
Stan