Re: overcoming the 32k objects limit is ext3 - which file system to use?

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 03:03:57 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 04/23/2010 11:13 PM, Siju George wrote:

>> ext3 can have only 32000 files/folders under a folder and I hit that
>> limit. Which file system can I use to over come it? I am planning for
>> JFS
>>
>> Does anybody has any recommendations?
>>

> Since Mike Bird has demonstrated your erroneous claim, plz show us the
> real error message.

Is Wikipedia ext3 article¹ wrong then? :-?

***
Limits

Max number of files 	Variable, allocated at creation time[1]

[1] The maximum number of inodes (and hence the maximum number of files
and directories) is set when the file system is created. If V is the
volume size in bytes, then the default number of inodes is given by V/213
(or the number of blocks, whichever is less), and the minimum by V/223.
The default was deemed sufficient for most applications. The max number
of subdirectories in one directory is fixed to 32000.
***

Note that "The max number of subdirectories in one directory is fixed to
32000."

¹ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext3

Greetings,

--