Re: problem with USB external hard disk My Book 1110

Thanks for your reply. I did carry a search on the list, which lead me to 'u3-tools' for Linux, downloadable from sourceforge. It is an alpha testing program, which I ought to compile on my system. I will look it up more in details this afternoon. I don't really care that much if it renders my 'My Book' unusable, since I would then return it to where I bought it yesterday, but I would have to be sure that no damage can be done to my own system.

I am very reluctant to try some Windows software from WD. I do have a Windows XP partition on my system, but I must reboot to access it, and I have found that any reboot has become a risky operation here - I may have a hardware problem, and this is why I need some more storage space to backup my system prior to checkup and repair. Last time I have shutdown must be a week ago or so ; it took 4 or 5 attempts to restart, various hardware error messages displaying most times, about overclocking that was not supported, even though I had never requested any overclocking or any other hardware config change for that matter. I wonder about viruses, that would be the first time for me on Linux ; I will mention this in another thread.

As for 'u-tools', I will let you know what result I get

Paul E Condon wrote:
I was OP on the recent thread. Use my name in search. Also look
for mention of U3. U3 is an emerging software technology for making
part of a hard disk appear to be a CD. If you want to get rid of
this feature you must download some software from WD site. They
don't have support for Linux, but this software is available in
both Windows and Mac versions. I hesitate to offer specific advice.
There are so many gotchas, and so many ways around the gotchas that
depend on your specific situation.

Keep posting. I hope I can help, I surely will try.

On 20100421_032426, Bernard wrote:
Hi to Everyone !

I had 3 external usb disks for savings. None of them refused to
operate under Debian Linux, indeed they worked 'out of the box', even
though Linux was not mentioned as a compatible system in the notices.

Today, since my above mentioned drives have no more space available,
I have purchased another such device. It is a 'My Book 1110' from
Western Digitals. It is supposed to manage 1 TB of data. But, so far,
I have not been able to get it to work on my Linux. If I plug it in
to an usb slot, GNOME displays a message saying that it can't mount
the device, since it is of an unknown filesystem. This being stated,
I can still see some files and directory, the PDF manual for
instance, is available. But what appears is small in size, far from 1
TB, and it is R/O (read only). It mounts on /dev/sr0.

#cat /proc/scsi/scsi
shows that it appears on 3 devices :

scsi2, ch0, id0, lun0 => My Book 1110
scsi2, ch0, id0, lun1 => virtual CD 1110
scsi2, ch0, id0, lun2 => SES device

'df' gives this, besides the usual lines :

/dev/sr0 Media/WD Smartware 629128k occupied, 0k free

#mkfs /dev/sr0 says that the device is R/O

#fdisk says : "sector size 2048 (not 512). Unable to write /dev/sr0 -
will not be able to write the partition table

Could someone suggest something to try, in an attempt to get that
system to be ext2 formated and to operate under my Linux ?