problem with USB external hard disk My Book 1110

Hi to Everyone !

I had 3 external usb disks for savings. None of them refused to operate under Debian Linux, indeed they worked 'out of the box', even though Linux was not mentioned as a compatible system in the notices.

Today, since my above mentioned drives have no more space available, I have purchased another such device. It is a 'My Book 1110' from Western Digitals. It is supposed to manage 1 TB of data. But, so far, I have not been able to get it to work on my Linux. If I plug it in to an usb slot, GNOME displays a message saying that it can't mount the device, since it is of an unknown filesystem. This being stated, I can still see some files and directory, the PDF manual for instance, is available. But what appears is small in size, far from 1 TB, and it is R/O (read only). It mounts on /dev/sr0.

#cat /proc/scsi/scsi
shows that it appears on 3 devices :

scsi2, ch0, id0, lun0 => My Book 1110
scsi2, ch0, id0, lun1 => virtual CD 1110
scsi2, ch0, id0, lun2 => SES device

'df' gives this, besides the usual lines :

/dev/sr0 Media/WD Smartware 629128k occupied, 0k free

#mkfs /dev/sr0 says that the device is R/O

#fdisk says : "sector size 2048 (not 512). Unable to write /dev/sr0 - will not be able to write the partition table

Could someone suggest something to try, in an attempt to get that system to be ext2 formated and to operate under my Linux ?