Re: backup apt tree?

No worries. As I said, this will work for apt, but I'm not sure where aptitude keeps its files. A quick consult of the man page and a look at the filesystem shows /var/lib/aptitude, however, I think it also uses Xapian.

I use BackupPC, since it does multiple machines.

--b

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 9:27 PM, B. Alexander <storm16@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you are asking what I think you are asking, as in which files would you
> need to restore your system in the event that you lose your apt and dpkg
> databases, then I do the following:
>
> /var/backups
> /var/cache/apt (less /var/cache/apt/archives)
> /var/lib/apt
> /var/lib/dpkg
>
> This will give you enough that apt-get update, etc works.

Nice, thanks! I've just configured a weekly backup schedule in BackInTime.

> Now the rules have
> probably changed if you use aptitude as I believe it creates/uses a
> different database.

Could anyone advise on what additional files should be backed up to
suit aptitude? Thank you
Liviu