Re: backup apt tree?

If you are asking what I think you are asking, as in which files would you need to restore your system in the event that you lose your apt and dpkg databases, then I do the following:

/var/backups
/var/cache/apt (less /var/cache/apt/archives)
/var/lib/apt
/var/lib/dpkg

This will give you enough that apt-get update, etc works. Now the rules have probably changed if you use aptitude as I believe it creates/uses a different database.