Re: Increasing number of conflicts

On 19/04/10 15:34, B. Alexander wrote:
On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 9:28 AM, Wolodja Wentland<

I assume that this will allow aptitude to take actions which are more to
your liking as you obviously don't like the ones proposed by aptitude
when you run safe-upgrade.

safe-upgrade just does the upgrades that don't cause a ruckus. dist-upgrade
is the one that displays the conflicts and wants to remove packages.

Thanks for testing a development branch of Debian :)

No problem. Most of my Debian installs at home run sid, with the rest
running testing...Except my firewall, which runs stable for the first 6
months or so (until critical packages start getting long in the tooth), then
I upgrade it to testing and run until the next stable release.

We all have different experiences, depending on what is loaded, and certainly sid has been fairly active in the last couple of months. I usually wait a week or so when a problem arises, during which time most of them disappear. When they don't it's usually because of a change of the structure of a package, and some old components must be removed to allow new components with different names to be installed.

Occasionally, it is even necessary to remove a vital package, and reinstate it either immediately after the now-successful upgrade, or do a bit more research into how to retain it. Sometimes, an upgrade really does conflict with a long-established package, and you have to decide which to keep. I have a feeling that recently happened with two different Flash viewers.

Do keep track of what you do, as I have just severely embarrassed myself by clearing such a logjam and then assuming that as nothing complained about dependencies, all was well. Some time later (weeks, I'm sure, and I had actually forgotten the conflict until seeing it on your list), a further upgrade to the package (mysql) stopped the daemon from starting, and I reported a bug, only to find a vital part of the system missing...

You don't run sid unless you have a sense of humour.

--
Joe