Re: Increasing number of conflicts

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 9:28 AM, Wolodja Wentland <wentland@cl.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 09:16 -0400, B. Alexander wrote:
> I've got an issue with a sid box that I have been maintaining for a while. This
> is my workstation, and I have noticed a growing number of broken packages,
> unmet dependencies and conflicts. I have been using safe-upgrade for months
> now, hoping that it would work itself out over time. However, this hasn't
> happened. So what can I do to fix the problems without losing functionality?
> Below is the result of aptitude full-upgrade (forgive the cut-and-paste):

As a sid user you are certainly aware of the differences between
'safe-upgrade' and 'full-upgrade' and I would be interested in the
actions proposed by aptitude if you run a full-update.

If you mean full-upgrade (there is no full-update that I know of), the lines I pasted are the result. Unfortunately, I don't want to remove some of the packages (such as ardour) that the system says will be removed. Other dependencies, such as libgraphvis4 vs libxdot and libvpr1, I'm not sure which is more current and which could break other packages I have installed.

I assume that this will allow aptitude to take actions which are more to
your liking as you obviously don't like the ones proposed by aptitude
when you run safe-upgrade.

safe-upgrade just does the upgrades that don't cause a ruckus. dist-upgrade is the one that displays the conflicts and wants to remove packages.

Thanks for testing a development branch of Debian :)

No problem. Most of my Debian installs at home run sid, with the rest running testing...Except my firewall, which runs stable for the first 6 months or so (until critical packages start getting long in the tooth), then I upgrade it to testing and run until the next stable release.

--b