Re: How to play 3gp audio files?

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 10:52:10 -0700, John Magolske wrote:

> I installed the amrnb package from the multimedia repo, but it didn't
> help.

Wow :-(

> I also installed the OpenCORE AMR libraries to /usr/local/lib as
> recommended on the Mplayer site:
>
>     MPlayer can use the OpenCORE AMR libraries through FFmpeg. Download
>     the libraries for AMR-NB and AMR-WB from the opencore-amr project
>     and install them according to the instructions on that page.
>     http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/codec-installation.html
>     http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencore-amr/
>
> But that didn't help.

Ouch! :-(

> Also built ffmpeg from source as suggested here:
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=178455 and did this:
>
>     svn checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg/trunk ffmpeg ./configure
>     --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-version3 make
>     make install

Mmm, those instructions seems pretty old (2006-2007), maybe something has
changed since then.

> That didn't help either, keep getting "Cannot find codec 'libamr_nb' in
> libavcodec..." still searching around the www to see what I can find.

Two more hints:

1/ The error message you got was:

***
(...)
Cannot find codec for audio format 0x726D6173.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!
***

So follow their wise advice and take a look into that doc file.

2/ Dunno if you already installed the mpeg/ffmpeg versions from "debian-
multimedia" repo, as Ron already pointed out. That could be another thing
you can test.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón