Re: Dual channel memory question

Aioanei Rares wrote:
On 04/16/2010 02:33 AM, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
On 04/15/2010 07:59 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
Aioanei Rares put forth on 4/15/2010 3:16 PM:

No, it means that 2 one-gig modules in same-coloured slots will
theoretically work better. I have one module in a dual-channel mobo and
it works ok. Most desktop/workstation mobos do.
No, that's not correct.  If the mobo DIMM slots are colored, you put one
DIMM in each color slot for dual channel operation, not both DIMMs in the
same colored slots.

I believe different manufactures follow different conventions. For some it's the two in same-color slots, for others in different-color slots. When in doubt, check the manual

One, I work with hardware everyday and I've assembled more computers than I can count. Two, Stan, I find your remark pretty offensive, really. Gigabyte, Asus, Intel mobos work by the principle 'same colour == dual channel'. Please check your facts before trying to sound elitist.

Checking the wiki page again, it says,

"If the motherboard has two pairs of differently colored DIMM sockets (the colors indicate which bank they belong to, bank 0 or bank 1), then one can place a matched pair of memory modules in bank 0, but a different-capacity pair of modules in bank 1, as long as they are of the same speed."

Which says to me that if I have a board with 4 memory slots of which 2 are colored light-blue and 2 are colored black and 2 1GB modules of identical speed, then I place both modules in either the light-blue slots of the black slots.

Hugo