Re: acroread not seeing printers

On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 10:49 -0700, Carl Johnson wrote:
> "John A. Sullivan III" <jsullivan@opensourcedevel.com> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 13:05 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> >>
> >> Make sure that LID_LIBRARY_PATH points to the location for libcups and
> >> also CUPS lp and lpr are in PATH.
> >>
> >> When you invoke the print dialog using Control+P, all the printers
> >> configured show up in the Printer Name dropdown.
> >> ***
> >>
> >> I'm not sure how to check this in Debian, maybe someone else can give you
> >> a hint on this :-)
> > <snip>
> > Thanks.  I tried setting LID_LIBRARY_PATH and I know the binaries are in
> > the path but it didn't help :(
>
> I don't know if you noticed, but I think that should be
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH, without the extra 'I'.  I don't know enough to help
> otherwise.
<snip>
Argh!! I did upgrade to acroreat 9.3.1 from multimedia unstable upon
these responses and the referenced article which was based upon 9.x.  I
even set a LID_LIBRARY_PATH variable in case it was not a typo.  It
still doesn't work.  Setting the command line debugging variable, I
found that it cannot find the PPD file.  Does it only work if the CUPS
server is running locally? In our case, we use a central CUPS server
running on a non-standard port.  This is reflected
in /etc/cups/client.conf.  How do we tell acroread where the printer
server and PPD files are? Thanks - John