Re: Updating JRE in Lenny

On 2010-04-13, Ken Heard <ken@heard.name> wrote:

> A website I want to use would allow access unless my java applet is JRE
> 6 update 13 or higher.  As far as I can figure out the applet provided
> by package sun-java6-bin is update 12.
>
> - From the Sun Microsystems site I downloaded file jre-6u19-i586.bin;
> moved it to directory /usr/lib/jvm, changed ownership to root:root and
> permissions to rwxr-xr-x and ran the binary.  It created a new directory
> /usr/lib/jvm/jre1.6.0_19 and opened in that directory a number of
> subdirectories and files.
>
> Next, I needed to add this new JRE to /etc/alternatives.  Using the
> alternatives configurator provided by package galternatives, as root I
> selected 'java' as the alternative to configure and added to the options
> list /usr/lib/jvm/1.6.0_19/bin/java and finally selected this new option.

That sets up the alternative for the java executable. So if you type
'java -version' at the command line it should output the correct
version.

> After reloading Iceweasel, about:plugins still showed the previous JRE I
> was using, /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java.
>
> Assuming that I can use a later version of JRE downloaded from Sun on
> Iceweasel 3.5, am I on the right track but did not get the newer version
> set up correctly, or is there a different way?

The browser plugin uses a different alternative, namely
libjavaplugin_oji.so. You will find the target of the alternative in the
directory /usr/lib/jvm/1.6.0_19/plugin/i386/ns7/

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom