Re: Boot / LVM best practices

On 2010-04-13 11:13, thib wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 2010-04-13 05:23, Jon Dowland wrote:
Stan Hoeppner wrote:
If you're going to buy two
drives, you'd be stupid to not use mirroring for fault tolerance and a
little added read performance here and there (depends on application).

I disagree. Mirroring only protects you against drive failures and not
human error.

And I disagree with that. Mirroring *definitely* makes both reads and writes go faster, due to parallelism.

Hmm.  Don't ^ these.

Backups are always necessary, mirroring is optional but speeds up recovery from hardware failure *only*. Sometimes, you can't backup (it doesn't make sense, it's too big, ..) and thus, yes, you also *need* mirroring (not just to speed up things). But it will not help you in case of human error, as Stan said.

Note that I didn't mention human error; probably should have snipped out that part.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?