Re: Definitions of all sections in the Control file.

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 02:18:02PM -0700, Brian Nelson wrote:
> Xuan Ngo <xuanngolist@yahoo.ca> writes:
>
> > Where can I find the definitions of all sections in the Control file?
> >
> > Examples of sections: admin, cli-mono, comm, database, devel, debug,
> > doc, editors, electronics, embedded, fonts, games, gnome, graphics,
> > gnu-r, gnustep, hamradio, haskell, httpd, interpreters, java, kde,
> > kernel, libs, libdevel, lisp, localization, mail, math, misc, net, news,
> > ocaml, oldlibs, otherosfs, perl, php, python, ruby, science, shells,
> > sound, tex, text, utils, vcs, video, web, x11, xfce, zope.
>
> Well, the list of all sections is defined in policy:
>
>   http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-subsections
>
> As for descriptions of each of those, you could use:
>
>   http://packages.debian.org/unstable/

Have you noticed these lists are a bit different.

 Base Utilities
    Basic needed utilities of every Debian system.

 debian-installer udeb packages
    Special packages for building customized debian-installer variants.
    Do not install them on a normal system!

These are not in policy ... Interesting.