Re: cannot type power of 1 or 2, 4-9 are typeable.

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 09:05:59 -0400, Celejar wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 07:05:57 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón wrote:

>> Besides the tip Cameron provided, I add another one (only for GNOME):
>
> Actually, this is a GTK+ method (based on ISO 14755), and it's what I
> use on my XFCE system.
>
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_input#Hex_input

Yes, I always forgot the other Desktops :-).

As you correctly point out, it's a GTK+ feature.

>> - Press Control-R and then press Shift-R (keep those pressed at the
>> same time)
>
> I think that this will work with either left or right Control and Shift
> (at least, it does on my system).

Tested and yes, also works here.

>> - Now press "u" and release the three keys (it will appear an underline
>> "u" in the screen)
>> - Then type "00b2" and press Enter
>>
>> That will render into "²" :-)
>
> I think that one can also keep holding down Control and Shift while
> typing the numbers, and then releasing them.  When doing this, pressing
> enter isn't required.  Your way may be easier, though.

I think they are two different methods... to get the same (one uses
"compose" key and the other one uses unicode input, the latter not being
available for QT users).

Curious is that I can get "¹²³" by using the "Shift+^+number" method but
that does not work for the rest of the numbers "4 5 6 7 8 9". When I
press that combo (i.e., "Shift+^+4"), my system "beeps" and outputs
nothing :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón