Re: cannot type power of 1 or 2, 4-9 are typeable.

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 19:43:30 -0700, jeremy jozwik wrote:

> im trying to type [copy from character map] power of 2. i can read power
> of 2 on webpages but if i were to cope > paste from that page, the power
> displays as a normal character 2. is this a dpkg-reconfigure locales
> issue?

Web pages usually make use of CSS styles to render those types, so when
you copy/paste the content into a plain text document, the format gets
lost. That's a normal behaviour.

> how can i gain the ability to type a power of 2?

Besides the tip Cameron provided, I add another one (only for GNOME):

- Press Control-R and then press Shift-R (keep those pressed at the same
time)
- Now press "u" and release the three keys (it will appear an underline
"u" in the screen)
- Then type "00b2" and press Enter

That will render into "²" :-)

There is a small list of secuences in this page:

http://www.hermit.org/Linux/ComposeKeys.html

And a full one:

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/a.htm

Greetings,