Re: [OT] Ubuntu vs Debian forums (was recompiling the kernel with a different version name)

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 08:58:59AM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 07:56:10AM +0100, Lisi wrote:
> > On Saturday 10 April 2010 22:12:04 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > > On 10 April 2010 00:42, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > But you do understand that desktop users _don't_ want to learn about
> > > their OS, correct?
> >
> > Recently I was trying to show my 15 year old granddaughter, who runs Open SuSU
> > 11 on her laptop, how to do some small admin job.  She said that she didn't
> > want to know.  When I queried this, she said:
> >
> > "When I am at school, the IT department does it for me.  When I am at home
> > here, you do it for me.  When I am in Japan, Daddy does it for me.  Why do I
> > need to know how to do it?"
> >
> The best answer I can think of is "so that you don't get financially
> abused by the people who do know how to do it".
>
> Whenever kids ask why they need to learn math, I tell them "at the very
> least, you need to know that the person behind the counter at McDonald's
> is giving you the correct change".
>
> Learning something doesn't mean you have to be an expert, or that you have to
> do it all the time.  But knowledge is power, and it seems silly to
> actively avoid knowledge, as so many people seem to do.  (By the way,
> Lisi, this is not directed at your granddaughter -- your post just got me
> thinking...)
>
> -Rob

100% in agreement with the above - Lisi seems like a wonderful
grandparent in trying to instil the value of knowledge.

Isaac Asimov - A Feeling of Power - should tell you all you need to know
:)

Clever stuff, this "graphitics"

Or my favourite little ditty which shows that you can't necessarily rely
on the fact that your father was clever so you need do no work thereby

	Learning by study must be won
	'Twas ne'er entailed from son to son

All best,

AndyC