Re: Migrate OS to smaller drive?

On 2010-04-11 08:11, Clive McBarton wrote:

Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
mount the new device (mount -odev /dev/newdevice), and do a
 rsync -ax / /media/newdevice.

What exactly is the advantage of this approach over "cp -a" or "mv"?

I would have suggested mv. It has the useful property that you can
easily spot aborted transfers by the fact that the original device is
not empty afterwards.

One note is that I've had issues where symlinks remain pointing to the old drive. (That was a long time ago, though, and maybe I did something wrong.)

tar might also work, given the appropriate flags.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?