Re: Migrate OS to smaller drive?

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 23:44:07 -0400 (EDT), thib wrote:

> Well, as I said in another branch of the thread, you can shrink most
> filesystems, including all extfs (I think the only bad boy here is XFS),
> look at resize2fs(8) from e2fsprogs for these.

vr, it looks like you've already received plenty of suggestions, but
I just thought I'd mention that I have developed a migration procedure
that you may be able to adapt to your situation.  I have a web page
which I developed for how to use a high-performance disk driver
under Debian for the s390 platform.  As it turns out, the high performance
driver doesn't work with the type of disks supported by the Debian
installer; so that means installing to one type of disk and then
migrating to another type of disk after the install.  Perhaps the
migration procedure documented therein can be adapted to your purposes.
The low-level formatting and partitioning steps are quite different
on this platform from PCs.  But creating the file systems and copying
the data are relatively platform independent.  You'll have to discern
what is platform specific and either disregard or adapt it.  But
anyway, here's the link, in case you find it useful.

   http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/diag250.htm

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :