Re: [OT] Ubuntu vs Debian forums (was recompiling the kernel with a different version name)

On Sun,11.Apr.10, 12:15:53, godo wrote:

> In that case there is no really meter what they have. Only you will
> do him a big favor if you put Debian because in that case they will
> be much  safer from virus's and it's much easier to open synaptic,
> hit refresh button, upgrade and apply then manually download all
> app. and next, next, next, reboot.
> From my experience it is really much easier to have Debian then Windows.
> They will call you less :-)

Sure, but first you have to take care at least of these issues:

* proprietary drivers (if applicable and/or needed)
* multimedia stuff (add debian-multimedia repos)
* backports for:
  - wicd or network-manager (if applicable, especially since
    network-manager in lenny is too old)
  - flashplugin-nonfree
  - newer apps if needed (OOo, ...)

Regards,