Console font turned cyan

> I don't know when it happened but it must have been during some
> "aptitude upgrade" run lately: My console font turned from white to
> cyan. At first I thought that the red VGA signal had a bad contact,

I was recently experimenting with framebuffer settings, and when I tried certain
settings, I got something very similar to what you are describing. Specifically,
I got the pale green text when I chose a framebuffer setting of a certain bit
depth, and it had the multi-color smeary looking distortion.

I wanted my framebuffer to be nice because I use some console apps and I
don't always like to run X. I was experimenting with lots of settings. When I
tried 1024x768x24, it looks nice. 1024x768x32 is also nice.

But when I tried 1024x768x16 or 1024x768x8, the colors were all wrong, and the
main console font was a sickly green color. Not quite cyan, but similar.

Your framebuffer could have gone on the fritz with your recent update if you
changed from grub-legacy to grub-pc (the new grub). The new grub has a different
way of setting up framebuffers, you can't use vga=795 any more.

If you want to try to chase down a new-grub framebuffer problem, try looking
at these:

/etc/grub/default
GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768x32 (or whatever you choose)
GRUB_TERMINAL
update-grub
gfxpayload

These are just some ideas that I thought might be helpful.

Phil