Re: Going wireless

* On 2010 09 Apr 09:40 -0500, Lisi wrote:

> > wicd and network-mangler also have curses interfaces, but it is
> > impossible to use them for advanced setups like RADIUS, ...
>
> +1 for wicd if you want an easy life.  But you may need to use the backported
> version if you are running Lenny.  In my experience, Network Mangler lives
> well up to its nickname. :-( .

I'm generally a fan of Wicd and have promoted it.  Now with my laptop
running Linux Mint 8 the version of Wicd in the archive (1.6.1-3ubuntu)
has a real heartache going from one of my WPA networks to the other WPA
network by getting into a state where it says "no wireless networks
found" and only a reboot seems to clear it (I was too lazy/rushed to
try various things like reloading the kernel driver, etc.)  I've now
given Network Manager a try again and It Just Works (TM) and lets me
roam from one network to the other through suspend seemlessly.

Tong, if your laptop has an Atheros based card (AR5212 chipset) it will
use the ath5k driver which works very very well.  I've been using an
Atheros based card and the laptops I've had have been Atheros based for
several years.  It's probably the best supported chipset out there.
Once you enjoy the freedom of movement that wireless offers, you'll
wonder why you didn't try it sooner.

Feel free trying to kill time setting up the low level tools manually.
I suggest that if you're running one of the desktop environments
(GNOME, KDE, XFCE, etc.) then you'll be better served just using
Network Manager or Wicd as both are easy to use and make dealing with
multiple wireless networks very easy.

- Nate >>