Re: Going wireless

On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 13:19 +0000, T o n g wrote:
> I always use wired network for my laptop because I don't know how to
> properly get wireless going. I've been to web sites like the following
> but they all look rather complicated.

> Now I want to try just again. So, what packages do I need to install in
> order to get my wire-networked laptop going wireless? What are the
> configuration (and troubleshooting) steps?

Check http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse

I am particularly fond of wpa_supplicant in roaming mode [1] but you
might want to take a look at wicd or network-mangler as well.

wicd and network-mangler also have curses interfaces, but it is
impossible to use them for advanced setups like RADIUS, ...

[1] /usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/README.modes.gz
    /usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/examples/wpa-roam.conf
--
  .''`.     Wolodja Wentland    <wentland@cl.uni-heidelberg.de>
 : :'  :