Correct way to (re)compile a kernel on Debian Sid

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 16:01:03 -0400 (EDT), Ivan Marin wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 10:40:46 -0400 (EDT), Stephen Powell wrote:
>> It sounds to me like you want to get pristine kernel sources directly
>> from kernel.org and compile them and run them on a Debian system.
>> I've never done that, but others tell me that they do it.  Of course,
>> this is not supported by Debian.
>
> I understand "not supported" as I can't file bugs from the pristine kernel
> on the Debian kernel package, and if there's a problem with that, I have to
> go to the kernel.org bug list, exactly as Stephen pointed.  I'm also aware
> about the changes that the Debian Kernel Team does to the pristine kernel.
> But all this is about the kernel itself, and not the process of _building_ a
> new kernel. So a good question is:  kernel-package supports the compilation
> of other kernels than the Debian one?

Yes, I believe so.  I myself have never done it, but others on
this list have.

>> This is all explained in http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm
>> In particular, review Step 10.
>
> I will check that, and see if there I can get my way around it. But I still
> miss the old make-kpkg way... ;-)

The new way makes things simpler for the maintainer script.  But it requires
that the user be more knowledgeable in customizing the kernel installation
process.

>> But why don't you just install the
>> appropriate firmware package on Debian?  Are you saying that the bug is
>> fixed in newer kernel images from kernel.org that Debian has not
>> packaged yet?
>
> I've installed the debian firmware-iwlwifi package, that is the appropriate
> package for my hardware, but I'm having several problems with the
> combination of firmware-iwlwifi 0.23 and kernel 2.6.32 that didn't happened
> on 0.21 and kernel 2.6.31. As the linux-kbuild-2.6.33 package is not yet
> avaliable, and I need the linux-headers to compile some modules that I need
> (nvidia), I was planning my own kernel and test if the problem with my wifi
> goes away. And also because I like to test new stuff ;-)

So the goal is to test a 2.6.33 kernel to see if it fixes a problem?
Debian does have 2.6.33 kernels available in "experimental".  If you install
a binary kernel image package from experimental, that will probably require you
to upgrade a bunch of other packages.  So in your case downloading the official
Debian kernel source for 2.6.33 is what I would recommend.  See this link:

   http://packages.debian.org/experimental/linux-source-2.6.33

You obviously don't have the usenet quoting style down just yet.  Note
the multiple repeated occurrences of the "greater than" sign to indicate
nested quoting.  Please make sure your quotes are at the appropriate
nesting level and with proper attribution.

Cheers,
SMP

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>