Re: Correct way to (re)compile a kernel on Debian Sid

On Thu, Apr 08 2010, Stephen Powell wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 16:01:03 -0400 (EDT), Ivan Marin wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 10:40:46 -0400 (EDT), Stephen Powell wrote:
>>> It sounds to me like you want to get pristine kernel sources directly
>>> from kernel.org and compile them and run them on a Debian system.
>>> I've never done that, but others tell me that they do it.  Of course,
>>> this is not supported by Debian.
>>
>> I understand "not supported" as I can't file bugs from the pristine kernel
>> on the Debian kernel package, and if there's a problem with that, I have to
>> go to the kernel.org bug list, exactly as Stephen pointed.  I'm also aware
>> about the changes that the Debian Kernel Team does to the pristine kernel.
>> But all this is about the kernel itself, and not the process of _building_ a
>> new kernel. So a good question is:  kernel-package supports the compilation
>> of other kernels than the Debian one?
>
> Yes, I believe so.  I myself have never done it, but others on
> this list have.

        Indeed. I never use the kernel team kernels (I generally use a
 git tree, but I support kernel tarballs)

>>> This is all explained in http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm
>>> In particular, review Step 10.
>>
>> I will check that, and see if there I can get my way around it. But I
>> still miss the old make-kpkg way... ;-)

        Everything the old kernel-package did lives in example scripts
 in the examples dir. I confess there is the additional step in
 populating /etc/kernel.d, but you get the advantage of being able to
 expand what can be done with kernel images.

> The new way makes things simpler for the maintainer script.  But it requires
> that the user be more knowledgeable in customizing the kernel installation
> process.

        True. But it also allows the user more power and flexibility,
 and allows users to share their scripts and stuff. I am just waiting
 for people to start building on the scaffolding provided :-)

        manoj
--
Prof: So the American government went to IBM to come up with a data
encryption standard and they came up with ...Student: EBCDIC!"